Friday, December 31, 2010

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan & My Epiphany

I'm watching The Wrath of Khan and I just realized something.

Spock and Kirk were more than friends.

Spock dies in this one and Kirk is really demonstrative and crushed.  Then in the next one he risks his career and is terribly upset when Spock comes back and does not remember him.  And in all the other movies it's like it's the two of them against everything else.

It's like a romance novel, the adventure, the angst, and lord knows I love a good romance novel.

The only thing Star Trek doesn't have is screaming hot sex.

But then I guess it wouldn't be on TV.

Anyway I was watching the movie and it suddenly clicked - Star Trek is a romance novel but with two men instead of a man and a woman.

Think about it - Spock and Kirk are always together and they are very dependent on one another, and they are emotionally invested in their relationship.

Neither one seem to ever get emotional over a woman.  Kirk has sex, a lot according to the TV show and the movies, but nothing serious.

So there is my epiphany;  Spock and Kirk were more than commander and first officer, more than friends.

I think they were lovers.

Good for them...

No comments:

Post a Comment